From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 19:03:20 -0400
7 and 3/4 year old Meeteetse has a mixed bag of good and bad news.  After
the ultrasound today she won't be having surgery because of her age and
condition and because the splenic growth appears almost certainly to be
a form of benign one which most likely (95% or so) won't pose a future
hazard.  The ultrasound picked up a clearly seen good sized right adrenal
tumor so Lupron is in her future and now on order.  (Ultrasounds often
aren't good for looking at adrenals but this time it worked clearly.) Due
to her insulinoma reoccuring something like 2 years (maybe a bit more)
after surgery Prednisone and Proglycem already were known to be in her
future med cabinet.  Have the Pred already and the Proglycem will be
ordered.  Except for the pancreatic ones her blood tests all looked very
good.  It's sad knowing that we can't take the kind of action which will
give 2 or 3 years sometimes in a younger ferret, but good knowing that
she won't have the pain of being cut even if she can't have the benefits.

Meeteetse came here as a kit from an abusive situation with a broken tail
from being battered.  She was biting so they hit and worse.  Turns out she
was biting because one of her baby canines had not shed completely and was
caught between erupting adult teeth causing a very painful abscess.  I had
them bring tweezers and got out the tooth right there.  Boy, did it drain.
Then we got her right to the vet.  She has popped nodes and had those plus
a very high heart rate and not so great thyroid results right at her first
vet visit.  Her life span was expected to not be particularly long, but she
turned around on her own.  She never bit anyone again either.  The closest
she'll come is that she will tenderly hold my big tooth between her teeth
if she isn't feeling well.  We always know to take that gesture seriously
in terms of health needs.

Met a really sweet little seven year old adrenal boy at the hospital.  His
kind mom let me cuddle him.  His name is Angus and he likes his Lupron
results.  It's obvious that he has a thoroughly loving home -- just a
gentle and completely sweet and trusting little guy.