From:
mellisad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:41:49 -0500
Today, I rescued a severely malnourished ferret from the "Pet Supermarket"
in Trussvile, Alabama.  Severely malnourished is actually an
understatement - this baby was at death's door.

When I first saw her, she was unable to stand, or even as much hold her
head up.  It is apparent that she was way too young to be sold.  Yet, she
was left in an enclosure with much larger ferrets to compete for food -
dry food.  She can't be any older than 5 weeks.  She is not even capable
of eating dry food.

Her condition is horrifying.  Her bones are protruding and all her muscles
exhibit signs of atrophy.  This poor baby has no muscle left.  She is
literally a skeleton.  Just bones.  At first glance, I thought her hips
were broken, but she is just THAT malnourished.  She literally could not
stand or sit up.  She fell right over and tried to pull herself about the
enclosure with her front paws.  She was unable to even hold her head up
for 30 seconds, yet she somehow was expected to eat and drink (from a
water bottle).  I brought this to the attention of two employees in the
store.  That is a whole other rant I plan to post.  But, right now, I am
worried about this little fuzzy.

I bought her, after a heavy dosage of nutritional supplement.  I took her
back to work with me, and since then, I have given her subcutaneous saline
twice, at approximately 4 cc twice (used to be a vet tech).  She was so
dehydrated her skin would literally stand if pinched.  She has eaten an
entire jar of chicken baby food, hand fed.  Also managed to get some
Gatorade and water in her system.

Thankfully, she perked up.  She is able to stand, although very wobbly!
She can raise her head.  She is no longer listless.  She is eager to eat!
I will be feeding her every 3 hours through the night, then taking her
with me to work tomorrow.  We'll stop by the vet on the way, just to get
some bloodwork and a fecal.

I bought a half-dead ferret, but this one is going to make it!  I just
did not have the heart to leave her to die - which she would have without
some type of intervention.  I did the best emergency care I knew how to -
but here is where I need some advice.  What now?  What else?  What more
should I do?

I really am beside myself worrying about this baby.  She is literally a
skeleton.  I am actually shocked at her improvement.  It may be a small
improvement, but at least I know she will be here in the morning!  I know
all the rescue shelters see a lot of this type situation - please advise
on the extended care of such a fragile baby ferret.  I have two of my
own, but this seems so different.

Mellisa (Ummm....I had two...acquired one that I just could not leave to
die.)