From:
Maggie Mae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 03:00:31 EDT
Hi Everyone,

Having owned cats for nearly all my life and ferrets being what they are
(that is requiring 20 or so boxes and still not using them all the time) I
have accumulated a great deal of practical experience with litter.  In all
shapes and forms.

I have used all of the following.  Give you my opinion, the value of which
is incalculable.

Wood Stove Pellets-these are by far the best thing I have ever used.  The
local fireplace shop only sells oak pellets (I can't get over selling pine,
you aren't even supposed to burn pine wood because of the resin).  They
control even the worst odor, which to me is cat urine.  Once wet, they
dissolve into sawdust.  They are also extremely cheap.  I pay $3.20 for a
40lb bag.  Not available in the warmer climes.  But check for dealers who
sell pellet bar b ques.  They might have them.

Pine Fresh-pellets, very good litter, but hard to find.  Last time I bought
it, it was $11 for a big bag in Houston.  It works almost as good as wood
pellets.

Yesterday's News-pellets, recycled newsprint.  It works well, but doesn't
control odor as well at the above two.  Some don't like the wet newspaper
smell it can have.  It is slightly more expensive than Pine Fresh.  They
also have a softer texture/small animal type, I find this doesn't last as
long as the regular.  And I have only seen that in small bags, which are
rather useless in this house.

Good Mews-pellets, recycled newsprint.  I hated this stuff.  It didn't last
even half as long as Yesterday's News and it did nothing for odor control.
It is cheaper though.

Alfalfa pellets-AKA rabbit chow.  These are pellets made up of alfalfa hay.
They smell like sweet hay.  They work pretty well, and are fairly easy to
come by.  They will make your house smell of alfalfa and they don't last as
long as the pellets or Pine Fresh.  I paid $8 for a 50lb bag a couple of
years ago.  Don't by the little bags of rabbit food at the pet store, go to
a feed store for horses and cattle and get it there.

Corn Cob Litter-works pretty well and is fairly cheap.  I cannot remember
what I paid for it when I tried it out.  I don't think it controls odor as
well as the wood pellets.  Some animals might like it better than pellets,
it is smaller in size.  But I found it hard to tread on and it tracks like
mad.

Clumping litter- I don't like it.  It has too much dust to it, regardless
of what the labels say.  Run your hand over the wall around a litter box
with it, it will come back gray from the clay dust.  I don't like it
because I also have ferrets who snorkel, and it can clog up the nasal
passages.

I will wade into a battle here though folks, I know of some shelters who use
it regularly and are very pleased with it.  They buy the brand in a red
container at Sam's Club.  It is like $7 for 40 lb.  And no, I won't say who.
They work hard enough without getting flamed too.

Clay litter-Don't like it.  Too dusty.  Very cheap.  Works well if you can
stand the dust and the perfumes they put in it.  I can't.  Tracks badly.

And if nothing seems to work, try folded newspapers.  Or an empty box.  It
will work.  Or paper toweling.  Use paper towels especially if you have a
sick one and need a stool sample.  Just carry it into the vet like that.  A
very good way to check for blood in the urine.

When I buy litter, I buy 3-4 bags at a time (40lb bags) and dump them into
a large trash can only used for clean litter.  I keep a feed scoop in it to
fill boxes with.

I also have a trash can for used litter.  I use a bucket to clean boxes
into, and then dump that into the trash.  I fill up a 20 gallon can a week.
I am sure the garbage men just love me.

When you change out litter completely, be sure and disinfect your pans with
bleach.  Use one part bleach to 8 parts water.  It will kill any type of
nastiness on your boxes.

Some folks use a bare minimum of litter and then dump the boxes completely
everyday, rather than scooping.

Also remember to clean the litter scoop and anything else you use around
your dirty litter boxes.  Especially if you have been hit with any type of
illness.  This goes for sponges, brushes, scrapers, etc.

Maggie Mae, off the litterbox