From:
Laryssa Nyland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:04:50 -0800
Hi all. I wanted to let you know, so someone else can learn from his
death, about why he died.

They found he had another adrenal tumor on the opposite side. This
had caused some prostate issues, and then caused some sort of
cyst/infection. I didn't know that the prostate could get infected
or cause infections - just that it could cause urination problems.

So, he developed that cyst and it burst, causing an infection in his
abdomen. The day I thought he was being lazy, he was sick from that.
Even if I had caught it, he most likely would have died. The vet said
that when the cyst bursts like that and causes infection in the
abdomen, that they are quickly lost within 24 hours no matter what.

I am very sad. He said there was thick, yellow fluid that was inside
it. I had seen some small, dark yellow spots on the carpet (like one
drop of something) that never smelled like anything, and was always
dried, kind of "grippy" if you felt it (I did not think it came from an
animal since it didn't smell like pee and well, didn't feel wet...or
dry....kinda like, what IS this?)....that was fluid sometimes coming
out of his system, apparently. It did not smell then, but it smelled
when the vet opened the cavity up (from infection, I figure). The stuff
I found on the carpet was odorless.

If anyone else has had any issues with prostate problem adrenal
ferrets, can you email me if you are willing? The vet said that he has
never seen this happen to a ferret before, and that it is rare, but he
does know that it does happen.....it's just not common.

Thanks,
Laryssa