From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:37:38 EDT
Dear Alex,
I don't quite know the whole story (I just kind of came in in the middle of
things) but I totally agree with Dick B..  I get the idea of what's going on
and I, too, think that being seperated from the only parents that you can
remeber is traumatic enough but I would avoid seperating the ferrets at all
costs!!!  In fact, as much as I hate to think of my relationship with my SO
falling apart we have already discussed which animals would go with who.  I
would never think of seperating my babies (all my animals are in pairs).  I
hate the idea of having to give up any of them but the issue is the welfare
and happiness of the animals.  They love each other with all they are worth
and seperating them could have disasterous consequences.  As Dick mentioned,
there is no way to know but do you want to take that chance?  Even if
neither of them dies of a broken heart or lonliness it may change them
forever.  I don't believe people ever get over having a loved torn from
them, never to meet again and neither do they.  I think it has a devastating
and often lasting effect.  No one should live there life alone.  I think
since I adopted Chelsea (4 mos.) to be a companion for Lucy (6 mos) that I
do not get quite as much attention from Lucy but it is plain to see that
they love each other deeply and as much as I love Lucy I do not believe that
I could ever bring her the joy and companionship that Chelsea has.  We all
need some one that understands and can relate to us and when you get right
down to the nitty-gritty people can only assume that they understand what
their animals feel but remember the saying "until you have walked a mile in
another man's shoes...".  Finally, (bet your glad!) if you think one ferret
is a joy to behold you ought to see them play TOGETHER!

God Bless and Love to All,
        Irena...Lucy and Chelsea's