From:
Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 20:31:05 EDT
Hi there Everyone!!!

Haven't talked with many of you in too long so I hope all is well with you.
I have a bit of a problem that I hope some of you can help me with.  My vet
has asked me if I can find a home for 5 ferrets who have been exposed to
distemper.

Here's what she told me.  A local pet store in my area (Albany NY) had a
ferret which came down with all the symptoms of distemper.  The ferret was
euthanized and the preliminary pathology indicates distemper.  They have
sent samples (or something like that) to a lab for further testing to
confirm that it was distemper but all indications are that is was in fact
distemper.

They had 5 additional ferrets in house at the time.  One youngster (3
months) and 4 adults (various ages) which we assume were exposed to the
ferret with distemper.  The five are asymptomatic so they are not sure
whether or not they have the virus but of course, the pet store isn't about
to take a chance exposing their dogs and cats to it.  They also are not
getting in any additional ferret until these guys are out of there.  They
are being kept in seclusion and are undoubtably not getting the proper
attention (love and cuddling) that they deserve though they are getting
proper medical care.

They would like to find a home for these guys so that they can get them out
of the store without having to euthanize them since they are asymptomatic
and may not deffinately have distemper.

Does anyone out there have the ability to care for these guys?  Anyone who
currently has ferrets with distemper who would like additional bundles of
joy to care for?

I hope someone can help out.  My vet is confident that someone out there can
care for them and I'm sure someone must be able to also.

Hope you all can help and I hope you and all your ferrets and loved ones are
doing well.

Steven