From:
Steve Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 21:08:05 -0400
Hi all,

So far, the only thing little Tigger hasn't caught on to is litter training.
He's extremely good about at least going back to his cage to do his
business, but without assistance, he's batting about .100 on the actual pan.
This means we have to clean the cage almost daily, which we'd like to avoid
if possible.  Until Tigger figures it out though, that's the way it'll have
to be.

BTW, we've tried putting bedding or food dishes in all the corners.  He will
actually poop right on the bedding, and between food and water dishes.
Methinks he's hit his head a bit too many times doing the war dance into our
furniture.  :-)

The amusing part of it is that since he has a 3-story cage, and the top two
stories are open grating, he has peed right through them into his water
dish.  I guess it's a good thing we have a bottle available too.  :-)

Is it normal for a ferret to take a couple of months to get the concept of
litter training?  I'd really like to start letting Tigger explore more of
the house, but until we can trust him to use a pan, I'm not willing to bet
my carpeting that he'll consistently go back to the bedroom where the cage
is.  I'd like to put a few pans around the house and feel reasonably
confident that he'll consider using at least _one_ of them when he feels
nature call.

Steve