From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 12:45:17 -0500
>From:    New Name <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: adopt from shelter
>Hi: I would like to find out if there is a ferret shelter in my area.
>I live in New Jersey,

I'll let you sort out where what is in New Jersey.  One of them is bound to
be somewhat close.

From the American Ferret Associations list of ferret shelters

North West Jersey Ferret Haven
Director: Jane Casale
Ogdensburg, NJ (201) 827-9330

It's Raining Ferrets Shelter
Directors: Bolton/Fitzgerald
Mt. Holly, NJ (609) 265-1196

Ferret Lifeline Shelter
Director: Ellen Demchak
Wantage, NJ (201) 702-0553

Itty Bitty Critter Rescue
Directors: Richard & Nancy Joyce
Toms River, NJ (908) 341-6960

T.J.'s Ferret Haven
Director: Rollen Mason
Dennisville, NJ (609) 861-1020

Ferret Shelter
Director: Beth Dysinger
Clifton, NJ (201) 440-4631

Fuzztek's Ferret Rescue & Adoption
Director: Yvonne DeCarlo
New Milford, NJ (201) 836-8682

http://www.ferret.org/afashltr.htm
This list is maintained by Fran Wiles (with many of us helping her track
down new shelters) If anyone knows a shelter (your own maybe) that isn't on
this list please contact [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] or even us.

Right now the list is US and Canada.  Maybe it should got more international
Hmm....

>From:    Maria <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: About these angoras again
>Actually, this is a quite new breed.  I don't know of any angoras in Sweden
>(who aren't that many I might add) who are more than two or three years old.

There is a picture on Urabn's page from Autumn of 1995
http://www.kuai.se/%7Egriffon/ferrets/img.stif/1995/sl9525.jpg
Are you saying this must be one of the oldest angoras in Sweden?
Handsome ferret by the way.

>This is not entirely true.  There *are* differences between for example the
>Swedish bred ferret and the American bred ferret.  Not only in size but also
>in temperament, their disposition to diseases like cancer and life-span.

No studies have shown this because no comparitive studies have been done on
either side that I know about.

What would you say the difference in size is?  Which are larger?  Our 7
pound American hobs or our 7 pound Swedish hobs?  Or which are smaller our 4
pound American hobs or our 4 pound Swedish hobs?  Our Smerican jills tend to
be between 1 and 2 pounds.  As do our Swedes, our Englisn and our Germans.

We have very very little problem with cancers.  Several breeders we know
have noticed the same things.  Might be environment.  Might be genetic.

Very little of what you are saying seems to match what I've learned about
Swedish ferrets in general and angoras in specific.

If they don't die from the same cancers as Americans what do Swedish ferrets
die from?  This is a serious question.  (Do I get tossed on the Barbeque now
Georgia?)

From Urban Frederickson's pages I see "Ferrets can become about 10 years old"
which matches the US.  See the two posts at the very top of the Ferret Digest
your article was in.  One estimated between 9 and 12 and the other 9.
Seems to be about 10 years for the oldsters either side.

>The females in turn don't know how to take care of their kits.

This matches what some here have seen with dark eyed whites but not all.  It
also matches what we've seen with an English jill.  No one has ever said
English ferrets are defective.  Maybe your friends just got unlikely and got
bad mother jills.  It happens.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/