From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1992 23:49:45 -0400
(Anon please... thanks Chris!)

Re: Allergies and ferrets....

I am allergic to cats, as is my boyfriend. Both of us tolerate ferrets...
which does not mean that we're completely unallergic, but that the allergy is
mild enough that we can deal with it for the sake of having the cute furries
around.

Testing a ferret at a pet store to see if you are allergic - well, this is
not the best way if you are the type of person who gets allergies simply from
being in the same room with an animal you are allergic to. When we went to test
sniff Wednesday, we were considerably more sneezy from the other animals than
from her - but this was hard to figure out. We fell in love and decided to
get her, and so far so good, but if you can go someplace where ferrets are the
only species present, do try to.

Wednesday is coming along so well, in fact, that we're getting a second ferret
in a few weeks, a four year old male albino that the owners can't keep. I've
found that Wednesday has gone from hyper and standoffish to affectionate in the
months we've lived together. She lets me pick her up for longer than a second
now, and comes to curl up next to me - sometimes it seems like she emulates my
lying-down positions, which is funny! Still bounces around but not for hours
on end - whew. she is mellowing! Still bites toes but I've taken to wearing
socks to bed so that mostly eliminates that problem. She's even made a truce
with the cat, though the two do tease each other so... (the cat is my down-
the-hall housemates') She's a cuddly girl now, and comes out to meet me when
I get home, and /i hope she likes her new brother ferret!

Happy summer all!

Wednesday's mom