From:
Judy Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:11:47 -0000
Hi...

Just wanted to touch Base with you about your Post to the FML.  We have
been running a Shelter/Rescue for 4 years Now, and 2 of them are now in
North Carolina.  We had 1st of all run around crazy when we first moved
here from FL looking for a Ferret Vet.  Well they all say "YES!!  We Know
Ferrets", But we did in fact put them to test.  We weeded and found a very
good vet that was willing to learn more and do more for Ferrets.

Now what I am trying to get to is this.... When we get a Rescue Ferret in,
the First thing is have Dr. Horton come to the Shelter and Examine the
Ferret(s).  We get as much information as we can from the people who turn
them over to us, as well as Animal control gets good info also when they
get one in.

The exam is done within 8 hrs.  The exam consists of Complete
Checkup-Heartworm check-Glucose check, and a Full Blood work Panel.  The
Next step is Shots.  We give them there Distemper and Rabies Shots.  Last
step is Corentene Time.  We NEVER put a New Rescue with any of the other
rescue's for a 10 day Period.  For this is to be on the safe side till all
the Blood work comes back to us and the Vet Clears the Ferret.

Now, After all this is Done, we try the Ferret with other ferrets UNLESS he
had shown or we had found a Past History of ECE, otherwise we let him in a
separate room.  If he never had or shown ECE we let him Run with the Others
Under Strict Supervision.  After we see How he adjust and all after a 2
week Period, then we List him/her for Adoption.

If for any Reason this Ferret has any Problems, such as Adrenal, We treat
with Surgery.  Most of the Adrenal Ferrets become Residents for up to 6-8
Months, so we can see how he/she responded to the Surgery.  Insulnoma
Ferrets are provided with the Pred, and when adopted out WE always tell the
new Mom and Dad about all we have done, and if they require any Meds, we
tell them where they can Purchase it at, and WE always give enough Meds to
make it by for a week, so they can get the scrip Filled.

Now, we Adopt a Ferret out for a Fee of $50.  This is Way Below the Cost of
having this Ferret Checked out, as it only covers a Portion of the cost.
And when the Ferret is here we always, (No Matter What we were told they
Eat), We give a Choice of 4 Different, High Protein Foods.  They are
Totally Ferret,Iams Kitten, ProPlan Kitten,Purina Kitten.  This way we can
Monitor which they like best, then weed them from the last 2 choices.  We
will always Offer the Top two that they Want.  They are also Given Duck
soup, and Boost, and Nutri-cal to get they best of Health Back.  And we
Find the Best choice of Treat that they like.

Now I don't Know what other Shelters do, But that is our Standard
Procedures for rescue's.  We Operate off Donations(which are Slim to None)
and off Fund Raiser(We are now starting them), and Most of it comes from
Our Pockets.  My Advice to you, in the Future, when you Adopt a Ferret
Check the Shelter out, and ask Questions about what has been Done.  Ask
for the Rabies tag if shots were given.  There is a large Cost in Rescuing
Ferrets and Sheltering them, and if they are just someone that took a
ferret or some ferrets cause they Loved them and wanted to rescue them for
any reason, and then try to adopt them out, chances are they didn't get the
necessary shots , and that is your Responsibility.

Please Check Out you Shelter, and Don't Get upset with Shelters as we work
Hard and Long Hours to Provide the Unwanted-Abused-neglected Little Furry
Fuzzy(s) With All The Love and Care One Could Ever Give.

Thanks,
Gary Skinner
Western North Carolina Ferret Shelter,Rescue & Club
Judy & Gary Skinner
3219 Oran Yount Ln
Granite Falls, NC 28630
828-396-8117