From:
Lynn Burroughs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 10:22:40 EDT
This is my first post; I'm responding in part to the query about the
blue ferret.

In February I obtained two six month olds, Guinness (M) and Magill (F), after
the horrible experience of having to euthanize my 8 year old.  Guinness
immediately came down with the green mystery virus.  He's now a very nervous
animal and is terrified of strangers, which I attribute to treatment trauma.
He's a great guy, a real Mamma's boy, but is quite neurotic.

After he recovered, Magill went into estrus.  We had her spayed within a week
by a vet who sees around 8 ferrets a day.  Three weeks later on a Friday night,
she turned blue over half of her body.  This happened immediately following a
bath, which she hates.  Magill saw the vet on Monday and was given a vitamin
K injection, which she also didn't enjoy.  The Doc pronounced it subcutaneus
hemorrhaging and said he'd never seen it before in a ferret.   After the
visit, the bruising spread and turned black.  I was very careful not to upset
her for a few weeks and have seen no further episodes.

In April, at 30 years of age, my life was turned upside down when I was
diagnosed with breast cancer.  I can honestly say that the ferrets made
enduring chemo a little easier.  When I was in agony and could barely stand
because of drug induced bone pain, I'd find myself giggling and rolling around
on the floor with my little darlings.  I've finished chemo and although I'm
currently going through radiation therapy, I now have the energy to concentrate
on training the kids, which brings me to my query.

They are doing great, although I'd like to address Magill's fear of heights.
Any time she's more than waist-high she trembles, goes completely rigid,
and does the fuzzed tail bit.  She's highly motivated to work for treats
(comes when called, sits on command) but treats haven't helped.  If anyone
knows how to address this, I'd appreciate the advice.

Cheers,
Lynn Burroughs