Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:04:42 -0800
Hi guys... Just wanted to report on my last visit to PetsMart.  This
really needs to change.  We neeeeeeed to do SOMETHING...

So I went in for the first time in months.  I saw a lone ferret, I
swear he was at LEAST 5 mo old.  Full grown.  He was going crazy in his
'habitat' though.  AND there was NO bedding.  None at all.  He had to
sleep in a litter box, no joke.  Anyways, after a while he went to go
lay down in the litter.  He rolled in a circle then over onto his back,
and I though I saw something wrong with his butt.

I asked for someone to help me with him and nice lady came out.  She
started opening the 'habitat' door and I asked how long he'd been there
(3 weeks) and if he was sick (no, very healthy, the healthiest they'd
gotten ever).  I picked him up and looked at his butt.

He had THE WORST prolapsed rectum I have ever seen.  It was oozing pus
like crazy, red, irritated, and the fur all around it was orange and
crusty.  I said, "yeah you really need to get this checked.  Do you
have an on staff vet?"  And she brought him right back.  She looked very
surprised but they need to pay more attention.  I offered to bring in
bedding and she said since they chew it they can't put it in.  They've
tried to put other stuff in there but "corporate doesn't like the way it
looks" she said while rolling her eyes at them.  So the poor little
thing.  The food bowl was in the litter too, and water hanging right
in it.

So the petsmart vet, why don't you take a look at this.  Telll me what I
can do, because they obviously don't know what they are doing.

Thanks, sorry for ranting.  But I feel helpless.

Krista and her five fuzzy kids:)
Interested in saving the lives of animals?  Visit
http://www.veganoutreach.org/index.html or email me for more info.