From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 17:09:08 -0000
Stanley one of my polecat hobs (so named because he came to me from
Accrington - for you folks in the US of A, Accrington is a town in
Lancashire and they have a football (soccer) team called Accrington
Stanley).  Shortly after Stan arrived here I noticed that his left eye had a
milky appearance.  The vet confirmed a cataract and thought that Stan's
right eye had a dislocated lens.  A couple of weeks ago I noticed that his
right eye was taking on a milky look.  The vet confirms that he has a
cataract forming but he still retains some sight.  Tony also thinks that
Stan has a dislocated lens in his left eye.

A few weeks ago Stan had been jumping the gap between the armchair and sofa
but his now, very carefully slides, backwards, down from the armchair and
walks the short distance before climbing up onto the sofa.

I was upset when I first realised than Stan would eventually be blind but it
doesn't seem to bother him.  After a bit of thought it occured to me that I
have never seen a ferret grab a miners helmet and lamp before investigating
a rabbit warren - it's really dark down there and a ferret has to rely on
its nose, ears and I suppose whiskers to find its way around, so I guess
eyesight is not one of their most important senses.

Bob, I love your post about the F&G - I reckon they deserve everything you
throw at them.  Most folks in the UK think the Ca Ca F&G are out of their
tiny cotton picking minds!!!!  We just can't understand how they can say
that ferrets are wild animals.  The 'domestic' cat kills far more wild life
than a ferret ever could - before anyone wants to flame me.  I have 4 cats,
2 kittens and a lurcher as well as 48 ferrets!  When is the F&G going to
make the domestic cat illegal in Ca?

Sheila

Bolton Ferret Welfare
National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 12 Dec 1997)