From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1993 08:10:25 -0400
        To Chris Miller:

        Re: fleas of Feasel:  You can pick up some pyrethrin-based flea shampooo
(I use Adams') at your vet.  Make sure thqt you ascertain from your vet that the
shampoo is safe for use on kittens.  Then use it one a week.  Cleaning the cage
simply involves washing all of the bedding in hot water and washing the cage
thoroughly with soap and water.  A pyrethrin-based premise spray could also be
used in the cracks and crevices of the spray.
        Don't use any organophosphate based sprays on your ferret.  Ferrets due
to their size, are more sensitive thn most dogs and cats.  If it doesn't say
pyrethrin, don't buy it.
        Don't forget to work on the carpets too!

        Re Feasels fecal color - there is some normal variation to fecal color
in ferrets which is often a function of dropping age and consistency.  Also,
some foods have food coloring in them which may change the fecal color
(especially red food coloring).  The one big problem that you should keep in
mind with black stools is the possibility of digested blood in the stools -
usually from an ulcerated gastrointestinal tract.  Whn combined with a lethargic
or vomiting ferret, black stools may mean big trouble and should result in a
trip to the vet.

        To Victoria Hadfield -

        The yellowish discharge from the vulva is porbably mucus and generally
doesn't mean a whole lot.  There is a small chance, however, that it could
indicate a vaginitis and may require antibiotics to treat it.  I would monitor
it for a few more days to see if it continues...

        I am sorry that you are unable to afford to have the adrenal removed -
unfortunately, there is no cure for your pet's problems without it.  I have a
ferret that just recently wnat "under the knife at 6.5 years of age.  She's
already growing her hair back....

Bruce Williams, DVM  [log in to unmask]