From:
Andrew Bienhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:05:33 -0400
>Got a question.  I would like to be able to keep my ferrets outside part
>of the day in a corral or large pen.  I was wondering what size of wire I
>would need so that they cannot sneak thru.

: I would recommend 1/4" wire mesh.

1cm (or 1/2") galvanized square mesh for the walls has worked very well
for me.  This product is fairly stiff, and is usually referred to as
"hardware cloth".  Check with your local Co-Op type store, or other farm
supply place, as they will likely have wider rolls of it, and sell it to
you by the meter (or yard, for those of you left in the non-metric part of
the world!).

>Would I need a top to the pen/corral?

: Most certainly!!!

I would recommend the following:

Dig down 30cm (1ft) or so, in the shape of your pen.  Then, fabricate the
walls of the cage, using the aforementioned hardware cloth, and make sure
you give it a bottom as well.  Then, place it into the hole, with the
bottom down of course.  Then, dump the dirt back in. :)  Presto!  They
can dig tunnels, but not escape!

I roofed mine with the larger and lighter weight chicken-wire.  You could
also use the hardware cloth with the larger openings.  The idea with the
roof, was to allow snow to fall through.  I found that the smaller stuff,
seemed to catch the snow, and when it piled up, it would weigh down on the
cage and put undue stress on it.

For assembly and frame, I used a lot of cable-ties (ty-wraps, zip-ties),
and small PVC plastic piping on the inside as a frame.

I really should take a picture of the damn thing one of these days and post
it.  Their new one, is right in the middle of the flower garden, and looks
quite nice. :)

>Any recommendations for a certain pen, roof covering, or just some tips
>on outdoor playareas?

Shade is important... or you can go totally nuts, and do what I did:

Get a piece of drainage tube, and put a hole in your wall of your house,
and cement the pipe in... my guys can travel between their indoor and
ourdoor cage at will.  They love it... they play in the rain, they dig in
the snow, and then go back inside and curl up in the cozy blankets.

I'll take some pics... :)

Andrew