From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 07:08:55 -0400
>Expression of anal sacs is not really required in ferrets as it is in
>dogs, and should not be performed as a routine practice - even at long
>intervals.

Sandi posted that she was confused about this recent cross-post about anal
sacs.  I responded privately since I was who started the thread on the
FHL.  She asked me to post my response on the FML also.  So, here goes....

I thought Emma's anal sacs might be impacted.  She apparently emptied them
herself the next day so all is well.  But, before that happened, I asked
some questions on the FHL since I have never experienced impacted anal
sacs, though I have had ferrets with intact sacs before.

Someone responded to my inquiry that her vet routinely manually expresses
her ferret's anal sacs once a year.  She was saying that this should be
done as a matter of routine, like part of the annual check-up.  I was
concerned about the person's advice so I asked the vets to comment.  I
also asked about symptoms to look for when the sacs are impacted.  What
you saw was one of the responses (either Dr. Williams or Dr. Ruth, can't
remember which one; they both responded to my questions).  Notice the use
of the word "routine" in the post.  He/she wasn't commenting on expessing
when there is a reason to do so.

One former shelter operator did respond that if the sacs are very hard
it's still a good idea to have a vet check it out to make sure they don't
need to be removed.  She may have been mostly addressing those of us who
are inexperienced in these things.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Katharine