From:
Tracy Jose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:55:06 -0500
>From:    Shaina O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
>I have just a quick question for everyone: my ferrets are kinda bored with
>all thier toys.  About once a week, I bring them into my room for a couple
>of hours to let them play and they have a blast.  Does anyone have any
>suggestions as to any toys I could make or buy so they wont be bored in
>their room.  I hate to see them go back into thier cage cause they have
>nothing to do.  Please help~ any tips are welcome.

Hello Shaina, welcome to the FML.  Ferrets need mental stimulation all the
time and one of the ways of doing this is by changing their environment
around for them.  For example, change their toys around, their bedding in
their cage, etc.  Some great toys that are inexpensive are....big beach
towels (mine like to be drug around on the floor and jump on each other
while I am holding on to the towel).  I also have long PVC pipes (tubes)
running everywhere for them to tunnel & chase each other through (you can
find these at any hardware store).  I recently just bought a toy called
Play and Squeak at Wal-Mart (which was in the cat section)...it's a little
furry mouse attached to a string that makes a little squeaky noise every
time it is touched...my ferts go nuts over this...you can hang it from a
door or pull it around the room.  My ferts also love to jump in a big
plastic container I have that holds about 40 lbs.  of rice...they like to
snorkel through it to find their toys and chase each other in & out of it.
I have a kitty condo that is carpeted that they like to sit on and play
in & out of.  Stuffed animals that make squeaky noises are also fun (I
always look for ones that don't have any parts they might chew off).

These are just a few ideas...i'm sure others can have fun adding to this
list on what their fuzzies like to play with.  The one thing to keep in
mind with any toy, is to ALWAYS check their toys periodically for any
missing parts or being chewed up...the smallest particle may get into
their tummies and cause a blockage which could be very deadly to them.

Warm fuzzy hugs & kisses!
Tracy J.
Tango, Chico, Roo, Pepe', Spunky & Leah