From:
Diana Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:13:25 PST
Well it never seems to end, I thought there was something wrong with Maggie
at the beginning of last week.  Just made a note to watch her.  Then Roxie
got so sick so fast and that diverted my attention.  After the shock of
losing Roxie so quickly faded a bit, I took the rest of them out so they
would help me feel better.  When I got to Maggie she did not hop from her
cage as the others did.  So I took her out and set her down and she just
laid there.  The spark was gone from her eyes and she seemed so sad.  I put
her on watch and isolated her in her own cage.  That was on Jan 1.  She has
eaten or drank nothing on her own.  The vet was here on Saturday and found
nothing terribly wrong.  Temp was normal, heart rate normal and boy did she
squirm through the exam.  The only thing he detected was a slightly
enlarged spleen.  I am force feeding her and we are going to give it till
Thursday and then run a CBC and maybe x-rays.  Maggie is 7 1/2 years old
and a MF ferret.  She was fine up till last week when I thought she was not
acting completely like herself.  She stumbles when she walks and her hind
legs just go out from under her so that she flops on her side then just
lays there.  Maggie is also one of my own pets as was Roxie.  She was the
2nd ferret we got, I do not want to lose her yet.  She just seems to have
all will to live.  Has anybody else experienced this?

Troy Lynn, do you have any suggestions?

I have dealt with insulinoma before with Grandpa but this is different.  No
tooth grinding or salivating.  Stools are as normal as can be expectated
after a bout with ECE about 4 months ago.  They are formed and not runny in
the least.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  We would have run a glucose
test but Maggie would have none of it.  We will have to give her something
to calm her down or sedate her and take it when we do the CBC.  Please
e mail me directly if you have any ideas as I am really getting worried
about her.

             TTFN,
         Diana and The Ferret farm