From:
"Robyn B. Stephens" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 14:00:15 -0600
My girlfriend and I are relatively new owners of a ferret.  I first want to
say that all of the info I've picked up off of the FML and the famous FAQ
have been more helpful than any other resource (and the most consistent).
Now if Gus was as easy to litter train as I infer from my reading.  .  .

Actually the think I am curious about is their teeth.  My girlfriend has
told me that several of her co-workers have mentioned they have had or know
of others who have had ferrets and had "their fangs removed".  To me, this
seems absurd if not downright cruel.  Yes, my kit nips, but he is a kit and
I expect that.  We are training him not to nip (putting finger in mouth like
a horses bit), but at this point (we've had him for about a 1 1/2 weeks), I
am not sure about any progress.  I would think he would have severe problems
eating and digesting food if his canines were removed and really don't even
want to think about it.  But I am curious if any of you have ever heard of
this and is really a reputable course of action?