From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 22:25:44 -0400
With the completion of the head skeleton, I've covered the bones of the
body.  What I haven't covered is the dentition, skeletal differences
between ferrets and other mammals and why they exist, the stuff I've seen
in ferret skeletons and why it has importance to ferret owners, and photos.

Because what I will be showing photos requiring a basic understanding of
odontology, the part on dentition is rather long.  At first I asked Sukie
if I could send it to her and let her take the heat for the length as I hid
behind her skirts, but that isn't fair to her.  Besides, I'm sure someone
could eventually track down where I live anyway.  Instead, I will break it
into several parts and post one per day, starting Monday (for those who
download at work).  Even then, the posts will be long and involved.  I will
post text first, then photos of teeth, then I will return to the skeleton
and complete the series.

The reason I have gone into such depth is because teeth are only
superficially discussed in most ferret books, and even ferret medical
books tend to gloss over ferret dentition and problems.  So, I have
compiled information from all my sources, ranging from the latest edition
of "Colyer's Variations and Diseases of the Teeth of Animals" to Leche's
1915 "Zur Frage nach der Stammesgeschichtlichen Bedeutung des Milchgebisses
bei den Saugetieren.  II: Viverridae, Hyaenidae, Felidae, Mustelidae,
Greodonta" to unpronounceable stuff written in Russian.

Don't worry; I have left most of the stuff out, simplified it tremendously,
and only touched on the highlights.  Even so, it is pretty long and some
places have a lot of terminology to wade through.

I just thought I would warn you all about the size of the thing and explain
why is it so large.  I apologize to all who hate reading more than a single
paragraph.  Someday, someone will find a cure for the "lecture gene," and
I can get the therapy I richly deserve.

Bob C

[Sukie note: those at other sites like the FML will need to stop by the
Ferret Health List to see the photos when they come out, but that isn't
hard; just go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list .
It's an exceedingly useful health resource with a good number of experts.]

[Moderator's note: Certainly a good idea to check out the Ferret Health
List.  If it will help though -- Sukie, are the links to the pics that
I can insert in the appropriate places?  I can do the work of inserting
the URLs if the links exist.  BIG]