From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 08:23:12 -0400
>From:    jane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: URL for Ferret Health List
>
>For those wishing to join the Ferret Health List (various health probs.
> only, vets do respond), this is the URL :
> http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth
>
>This group is NOT listed if searching from their homepage under
> Pets>>Ferrets - the one that is there is NOT the FHL!  I was told the
>FHL is not listed because it is a moderated group and is kept private
>(hmm-so how would anyone know it is there?) That reason above was from
>SmartGroups (??)

Your email to me piqued my interest in this little problem.  I could not
believe that we were considered "private" simply because we moderate the
posting of messages.

Yesterday I did some digging around and found that our group category
setting in our group's preferences was blank, so we had no category in
which to be listed.  Pam Sessoms (one of the other moderators) also found
that the group public/private setting was set to "Private" for reasons
unknown.  I suspect this might have been due to the fact that there was
no group category defined.

Both of these changes probably occurred during one of the many problems
Smartgroups had in the past.  We just never noticed and no one ever said
anything until you brought it up.  It was simply a matter of selecting a
category for our group and toggling the public/private setting back to
public.  These were totally under our control and had nothing to do with
being a moderated group as Smartgroups Support had indicated.

If one goes to the Smartgroups home page and selects "Search Groups" in
the menu on the left, enter "ferret" and one will see that the FHL is
once again listed.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Information, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*