From:
Chere Mccoy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1993 09:04:27 -0500
NEED ADVICE.  I picked up the rescue case yesterday afternoon from the
vet.  Per usual he had a full physical and shots.  when I went to pick
him up there was some bad news - he has HEARTWORMS and a heart murmer
We believe he is somewhere between 1 and 3 years old (sparkling white
teeth).  He is a whole male.  He was (before his bath) full of fleas
of course had ear mites.  I understand there is treatment for heartworm
however it is long hard and stressful on the ferret.  I am asking that
any vets who receive this message and have successfully treated
heartworms in ferrets please contact:  Dr. Brenda Ernest, Westside
Animal Hospital 407-562-0666 and let her know the measures taken.
Also I don't know anything about whole males.  Any whole males  or
females who are brought into the shelter are set up for spay/neuter.
This 3 pound male is all muscle.  Last night he paced his cage (normal
for a ferret in new location) and he grabed the sides of his cage
and began pulling with his teeth.  Also his Scrotum is enlarged (I
understand this is because of breeding season?).  Anyone with more
information on whole males please let me know.   Signed Chere McCoy
President Ferret Friend of Indian River County.  For Nancy Hartman:
I have lost your phone Number !!!