From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:55:15 -0500
Edward wroye:
"..... And add this to the puzzle: Fifty dogs and/or cats are altered
compared to each ferret, yet we see no obvious ferret-like maladies in
the K9's or felines, correct? Why this dichotomy, Pilgrim?"

Edward,

Indeed the soup is incomplhete with early neuter!

What has been documented in other publications is that the ferret
at age 5 weeks (when neutered for pet shop sales ) as compared to
development of canine puppies - is 3 weeks of age.

That alone in physical development is a big factor in the compromises
on the development of healthy ferrets.

In other species - ie dogs, cushings disease is more prevalent these
days.. in part due to neuter/spay times being pushed up (now at younger
ages).

Likewise, I predict, that since SPCA shelters are now spaying
kittens at 6-8 weeks of age opposed to the 6 mos. they used to be
spayed/neutered at, , in a number of years (5-7) you will see many more
issues with cats -- bladder infections, renal conditions etc. Early
spay neuter does / will compromise the healthy development of living
beings. Hormonal obstruction - destruction has huge ramifications to
overall health of all beings!

I tried to argue this in 1999 to HSUS who pushed for the early
spay/neuter of kittens but was merely one voice!

Alicia
www.ferretwise.org