From:
"David J.Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 15:24:04 -0500
Subject is 2 to 3 year old neutered male in apparently good health.  Normal
weight has been about 1220 grms for 12 months, fluctuating 20 grms up or
down.  (2 lbs 11 oz.  fluctuating 3/4 oz.)

Started to molt at the beginning of January and dropped to 1180 grms by
Wednesday morning (Jan 31st).  (Doesn't look like adrenal problems as still
lots of hair and he has a very thick coat.) Wednesday he had his annual
Fervac shot.  He was premdicated for a potential reaction.  He had a very
mild one judging by the fluffing of his tail but no other signs.  We weighed
him this moring and he had dropped to 1080 grms.  A drop of 100 grms (about
3 and 1/2 ozs.) in three days!.

He is eating and drinking normally.  No signs of diahrreah or partially
digested food in the stool.  No signs of dehydration.  Seems to be energetic
and normal except for the sudden weight drop.  His physical exam on
Wednesday suggested no problems.  Bowel was empty and no sign of blockages
(I asked because of the ongoing molt).

Called our vet this morning and the present decision is to watch him closely
till Monday.  If weight continues to drop I shall take him in on Monday.
Meanwhile, if anyone can suggest things to watch for please let me know.