From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 13:17:00 EDT
Just want to comment based on my experience with ECE and recent questions on
FML.  Some people have wondered about diagnosis.  Even in ours with mild
cases, this diarrhea was markedly different from anything seen before.  I'd
be willing to say that if you only think you might have it, you probably
don't.  If you do have it, you may even try and find another reason for what
you are seeing (denial), at first.  Not everything that comes out with ECE
is green.  Mish, I'll bet that this is why you found this girl on your door
step.  Clean up is a real pain and it just goes on.  The previous owners may
have just bailed out.

Like Michelle Matta, we thought ours were just vomiting.  Then I saw this
pretty high pressure liquid jet come out of the rear.  The poor
digestion/absorption and quick gut transit probably makes "stool" about as
processed as vomit is.  One key is the shape of the puddle.  Is it the round
pool that vomit generally is, or is it a long oval that jets would leave?
 The large amount of liquid to solid fooled us, but that is what made the
jet.  There were only random tan clots of "solids" in the mix.  Litter
training went out the door and the middle of the room is where we often
found the mess.  All of this made us think we had just bad vomiting until we
actually saw it happen.  It was still hard to believe my eyes.  ECE came to
mind only then.

My exact thought was, "I hope this isn't the Greenies."  Mish, you think
that you have just vomit and/or stress.  Your description is what we lived
through.  How about you, Robert Fein?  Frolic followed by vomiting,
persistent diarrhea, no appetite, active guy now out of it (classic case
study)?  Been there.  I propose denial is an owner's ECE symptom.   Others
that have had this, did you do the same at first?

Dehydration is a real problem.  That large amount of liquid that is leaving
should have been absorbed.  Drinking and moist food just won't keep up.
 This loss of fluids depletes electrolytes and leaves ferrets weakened,
wobbly, or sleepy.  Very dangerous.  If you see these signs along with very
liquid and tan diarrhea that persists, you may well have ECE.  Even if you
haven't seen the green.   Do a skin pinch test and get to your vet, or just
go to your vet.  Injected fluids bypass the digestive tract and are
absorbed.  This makes a dramatic difference quickly.

Ours were doing pretty well, and then, 2 older ones had a relapse last
weekend.  They had to be kept at the vet's for fluid injections (90 cc) on
alternate days.   We are now 2 1/2 weeks from onset and these two are still
in tough shape and not eager to eat.  Melissa, you may also be in for a long
haul with Potpie.  (Did you deny at first?)   Those that have pretty much
recovered are not bulking up or eating as usual.  This is tough for a
dietitian to endure.

Now something curious for the vets or others who see large numbers of ECE
cases.  We have 2 ferrets about 5 1/2 years old on long term, low level
pred. for insulanoma and lymphoma.   Should have been hit hard, right?
 Well, the insulanoma guy was the only one of seven unaffected (we have 3
young ones).  The lymphoma female got the mildest case of all and was clear
in about 3 days.  Another owner's ferret that may have been exposed is 8,
very fragile, on heavy pred. for insulanoma, and got nothing.  Is this just
a fluke or has pred. had a moderating influence on other cases?  Could the
anti inflammatory effect be helping the intestine?

  ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \