From:
Max Alert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 00:29:18 -0800
>From:    Susan Malone <[log in to unmask]>
>Just my opinion, but I don't think letting ferrets and any reptiles too
>close together is a good idea.  We do have an iguana, about 4 1/2 feet
>long, but he stays in the opposite side of the house than the ferret room
>and they never come in contact...

Hello,

I agree with you that they don't go together.  I had a lovable iguana named
Bwik.  He was a rescue so he was a bit under weight for his age but he was
around 2.5 feet long.  Anyway, to make a long, sad story short, he got out
of his cage and wandered into the ferret room.  I came in to find blood all
over my albino boys face as well as a bit on the other 4 babies as well.
Bwik was alive but stunned and his "ears" were punctured.  I took him to
the vet but there was nothing they could do.  He died later that night.

I could just tell by what they had done and the playful looks on their
faces that they didn't know what they had done.  They were trying to grab
him by the back of the neck and carry him around just like they do to each
other.  They saw him as a new ferret and wanted to play.  He just got
overwhelmed and didn't know what was going on.

Moral of the story, keep them apart.  Someone is bound to get hurt out of
ignorance if not a predatory or defense nature.

Take care all.
Max