From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:22:03 -0400
Hello All!

I am just now catching up on the weekend's FML and felt that as a shelter
with ECE, that I should respond.  How did we get it?  Well, we're not sure,
but the first case of the "greenies" was right after going to a ferret show
in late 1993.  To date, each ferret that has come into our rescue has
exhibited the signs of ECE.  I can only, therefore, conclude that ECE is a
carrier-type virus.  It is also extremely contagious.  I do have to disagree
with Mr. Killian because I have nursed many ferrets (about 70) through the
virus and have not seen a "sickly" or chronically unhealthy ferret after
contracting the disease, nor have I had an ECE related death.  We did not
have the choice of exposure/nonexposure to the disease, but I believe that
this disease will not soon be treatable.  I do advocate exposure at a young
age, because the older ferrets have a much harder time if they are exposed.
I don't have a problem exposing a ferret under the age of 3(I don't have as
much room as Pam does and don't have an ECE free room) Any older ferrets are
fostered out to a home that has not been exposed.  As you may know chicken
pox is very easy to get over as a child, but as an adult, shingles can be
very dangerous.  I also have to mention that the worst effects of the virus
seem to come from a secondary opportunistic virus or bacteria, not the virus
itself.  Heliobacter, a naturally occurring bacteria in the stomach, seems
to go into hyperdrive when a ferret contracts ECE, which in turn causes
nausea, lack of appetite, vomiting, dehydration, etc, which begins the
vicious cycle of ulcerations in the stomach/intestines, which is most
devastating to an animal with a metabolism as high as a ferrets'.  My latest
recovering ferrets were treated for this and it did take 2-3 weeks of
force-feeding, amoxicillian, phazyme,sub-Q fluids and carafate before they
began to eat and drink on their own.  A vet friend of mine has also said
that she believes ECE is related to the corona virus in dogs, and like
treatments do seem to help.  As far as the shelter is concerned, I always
stress the fact that the ferrets here have been exposed and any ferrets in
their household WILL come down with the virus if they come out and look and
especially if they adopt a ferret from me BEFORE they pass through my front
door.  Just because I was not given the choice, I will not make that choice
for any other person.  Anyone who has contacted me in regards to adoptions
will affirm that statement.

I do not fear this virus like I do distemper, because I have learned how to
make ferrets survive this disease.  It does take a lot of hard work, but I
do not regret the time I invest in the furries.  I always like to think that
my "personal" ferrets must have the immune system of superman, because God
only knows what they have been exposed to in the past 6 years, but all of
mine (with the exception of Hope and Bandit, my insulinoma/adrenal babies)
are exceptionally healthy at the ripe old ages of five-seven years.  The
young ones, who knows?  its too early to tell with them, but I'm keeping my
fingers crossed!

I also want to pass on a warning about velcro "H" harnesses: a young couple
came over to adopt a pair and they wanted to leave these harnesses on the
ferrets even when in the cage.  Well, the slippery fellow got halfway out of
the harness and part of the velcro stuck to the carpet on the upper floor!
He was hanging by his neck!  Needless to say, I told them, NO VELCRO
HARNESSES or NO FERRETS!  Be careful out there!  I hope everyone's ferrets
are currently healthy!

Lisa and Ernie & the Fab 16:
Sasha the house ferret and resident psycho from Hell;
Bruiser the magnificent and Pele, his consort;
Yod He Vawhe who went to the "Show" and his evil twin, Dijon;
Jezebel the morning mitt and Bandit the lion-heart;
Misha the Huge and Rascal the thief;
Hope the furless (and tail-less) wonder;
Timon the Hisser and Nico the Man;
Olufsen the swede and Marten the sneak;
Tigger the cute and Trella the sly.