Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:32:48 +0000
Hi All - I felt I had to add one more small addendum to this topic -
hopefully to relieve some minds.  My training and experience has been to
always give a dose of a injectable anesthetic just as if we were beginning
a surgical procedure.  This is usually done with clients present, holding
or petting the animal, or if the client is to stressed, one of the staff
does the reassuring .  When the animal goes to sleep and is no longer aware
or able to feel pain, we give the owner the option to stay or leave.  Only
then is the animal given a terminal dose of what ever drug is deemed best
under the circumstances.  I have no idea where some people are getting
this screaming struggling garbage, but if that is in fact what your vet
is doing, I would find myself a new vet.  Quickly!

Sorry BIG, just had to add this bit.... but this whole topic was making me
nuts!

Take care,

Beverly Burge - Jerusalem Zoo
http://www.itmi.com/jeruzoo/