From:
"Viki S. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:08:13 -0500
Ladies & Gentlemen,

Great news!  Since the ordinance has just been introduced, it still has
to pass through the proper committee, which means we have the time and
opportunity to present our case.

Still, there are a few of us planning to attend Tuesday's meeting
regardless.  We want to meet and greet; press the flesh; do some recon;
get known...and maybe a few other clichis I haven't considered yet.
It'll also good to meet some fellow ferret owners/advocates and start
plotting our next course of action.

The facts thus far: This ordinance falls under the jurisdiction of
the License and Consumer Protection Committee.  The chairman of that
committee is Eugene Schulter and vice-chairman is Madeline Haithcock.
Members are Aldermen Lyle, Olivo, T.  Thomas, Coleman (whose name is on
the ordinance), Murphy, Zalewski, Banks, Doherty, Natarus, Shiller, and
M.  Smith.  We don't have a date on when this committee will meet as yet.
I advise all local parties who are interested in this case to keep an eye
on http://www.chicityclerk.com for that notification.

By the way, Alderman Colon (my alderman) said he spoke to Alderman Burke
last night, who seemed amused yet receptive to the idea of modifying
the ordinance to allow ferrets.  Colon said that Burke hadn't really
considered ferrets an issue either way.  Burke now has a packet of
information in his possession, and I plan to wrangle an introduction
at Tuesday's meeting to follow up and offer assistance if he has any
questions.

I'm feeling more and more optimistic about our chances.  I just wanted to
keep everyone in the loop.  Just to clarify, they will NOT be discussing
this ordinance Tuesday, July 29th.  If ferret owners would like to join
us to learn more about the political process here in Chicago, however,
please let me know.  We'll keep an eye out for you!

Best to all,
Viki Rollins