From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:22:45 -0400
Dooks to all,
just wanted to tell Mary, Lori and all who are working on these songs that
they are getting goood, heck some I can even SING without the fuzzies
holding their ears and running under the bed in pain!  Lori, I couldn't
quite get through the treat song without cracking up though, very funny!

Jen, it's great to hear that Kismet is doing so well!  And Yeah for PB and
Sherlock too, Matthew!

I think when I had my first bout of ECE, I was very fortunate that all my
kids were relatively young, and only my one little girl Whit and my oldest
guy Murphy had the worst of it.  Now I'm having a problem with
someone...haven't been able to figure out who yet....is having strange
diarrhea that is clear liquid with partially digested pieces of food in it,
only evry so often and never in the cage litterboxes.  I keep trying to
catch who it is and no luck...then it just disappears for a couple days.
All are eating, drinking, and acting OK otherwise.

Sue M.  I think you did a really great job of describing what most breeders
out there are trying to say...you LOVE ferrets, and whether it be by trying
to improve the breed lines which, let's face it, NEED to be improved in
this country; or help out other ferrets by finding homes and placing
shelter kids, it sounds like you are doing a great job.  When I got my
first ferrets, they too were from a petstore, but I read, attended clinics
and shows, and found out that, yes, they do (MF) have nice personalities
for the pet trade, but alsotend to carry a lot of genetic problems and
cancers too.  I went to a private breeder, had a beautiful hob, showed him
all over to make sure that it wasn't just me who thought he was great, then
selectively bred him to improve the lines.  I kept his son...he was a great
ferret, but not that great to go crazy with breeding so I had him neutered.
His children are all in great homes.  I bet 90% of the small breeders out
there know where every single one of their kits are and how they are doing,
and would take them back in a heartbeat if the situation warranted it.  Can
the large profitable breeders say that?  The difference starts where one
tries to make a profit or a business out of selling animals, of any kind,
like they were selling cars.  If you can't support your animals in some
other way and just enjoy the betterment of those animals that you
love...well, then maybe you should think twice before doing it.  The only
difference with ferrets...as opposed to cats and dogs...that we have going
for us is that they CAN'T breed without our consent.  It's a good
difference, I thank God that there aren't any stray ferrets out there
trying to raise a litter on the street.  (Are you California legislators
listening???<VBG>)

Well, I didn't mean to get so caught up....

Michele & the 7 single fuzzies
(Mom says we're all NOTORIZED???-Nick)