From:
"Michael C. Buckman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:32:23 -0700
This is definitely NOT the way I wanted a first post to be, but my female
eight month old ferret, PJ, passed away this past saturday morning.  She
had fallen ill that previous saturday with what I initially believed to
be the flu, so I made sure to get her some nutrical and make sure she was
drinking.  By sunday night, she had become severely dehydrated, was not
eating and had developed severe ataxia and lethargy.

Monday morning she saw her first vet, South Shore vet clinic in Forest
Lake, MN (mine was on vacation) who said it was an ear infection (bacteria
in left ear from swab smear), prescribed Tresaderm and recommended I give
her subQ fluids (I work at a wildlife center, so we have all the equipment
on hand).

By Wednesday, there was no improvement (ataxia, almost no movement at all
and diahrreah now that she had some fluid in her), but it was the fourth
of July so she had to wait until thursday.  Thursday she went into the
Como Pet Clinic in St. Paul, who assured me they see ferrets regularly and
could easily find the problem.  The visit showed her fecal smear was clean,
and no temp.  White count was 17000, which the vet said indicated a viral
infection, that she will get better, and to continue with subQ and food
replacers.

By saturday morning, she was gone, and everyone I have talked to has
serious doubts that this was a viral infection, especially because of the
white count.  Does someone have any advice, and would it be worthwhile to
try to get her into a pathology lab for some tests even though the body is
frozen?  I just feel so helpless not knowing why she died, can anyone help?

ferretless and depressed
Mike.