From:
Barbara Laugesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:02:21 -0400
llena took the thought right out from under my finger tips!!!  I am not any
where near an expert when it comes to this.  How much information can be put
on a chip?  Seems to me that this would make tracking MF and other breeder's
ferrets a lot easier.  I know it would raise the cost of owning one of their
ferrets but it sure would give the data that many want, such as, a
registration number, date of birth, any vaccines given before they left the
farm, date of their spay/neuter, etc.  It would make it a lot easier to
track any health concerns that crop up.  The only draw-back that I can see
is that the person(s) on their end would need to know what they were doing
when the information was placed on the chip.  This seems to be an idea that
definitely has merit.  Is this something that possibly someone who is on
good terms with some breeders could approach them with?  Could AFA become
involved in this?

Please notice that I did not single out just one breeder or farm.  IMHO, if
something like this could be implemented by as many farms and breeders as
possible, it would go a long way in tracing the health of ferrets.  And that
information would go a long way in formatting a plan to deal with those
whose babies always seem to have the most health problems.  This again, is
in MHO.

Barbara