From:
Kathy Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:52:31 -0500
Hi everyone, Debbi, if someone stepped on my tail with a pair of shoes I'd
bite too.  This and a scream are usually normal ferret reactions to "get
the hell off my tail that hurts".  I sometimes think we should get some
people to sign an "I DON'T LISTEN CLAUSE", before we let them near our
pets.  In response to your neighbors comment about paying her doctors bill,
I would let her know that the vet bill for a broken tail would probably
have been higher and your ferrets don't have insurance to cover the cost.

On the other side of things it's good you vaccinate your ferrets and
have proof.  The laws regarding bite incidents can range from a ten day
quarantine to having the ferret euthanized and it's head sent out for
testing.  Check the laws for your particular area as they can vary from
state to state.  Whenever introducing my ferrets to people I always go back
first AND NEVER allow people they don't know to hold them, as they could
react to certain scents and odors.This way the chances are minimized that
the person petting the ferret will get bit.  No matter what warnings you
give, some people just don't listen.  Case in point; a lady once asked if
she could pat my dog.  I clearly told her no he may snap at you.  So what
does she do?  Reaches out to pat him anyway.  Well he snapped, but
thankfully she pulled her hand away before contact was made.  My words,
"I warned you".

To all who are sick and those who have crossed our hearts and prayers are
with you.

Kathy and the Ferret Collective - just a nip