Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:02:50 EST
Hi all!

My ferret Scooter (1yr old silver mitt) has a very serious problem that has
several local vets (in NH) puzzled:

During the past month he has gone from 3.5 lbs to 2.1 lbs and his stool is
somewhat slimy and green (which the vets say is bile).  His two brothers (Gizmo,
1yr old sable; Jasper, 6mo old albino) are healthy, and haven't exibited any
weight loss or slimy stool (which Scooter has had on and off now for about a
month).  Scooter isn't lethargic (hes very brite eyed and alert) and continues
to run around playing and wreaking havoc with his brothers, then he eats a
couple of bites of food (he's been eating IAMS since he was a kit, but he
doesn't seem to be eating much lately), drinks some water, and crashes (long
before his brothers and for alot longer too).  During the night, Scooter has
also been sneezing alot.

I have a large studio that the guys generally have the run of.  Everything is
ferret proofed, and aside from breaking into the cubbard (a cute story for
another time) not too long ago, and overdosing on raisins, they haven't "been
into anything they weren't supposed to."  They guys share a large food bowl, and
a large water bowl, as well as assorted litter boxes throughout the studio.

Has anyone else seen this before?  I know that I've read about a "ferret chicken
soup" that was packed with calories to help a ferret gain weight - does anyone
have the recipe?  Does Dr. Williams have any suggestions on tests my vet should
run?  Right now, my local vet has him on amoxicillin and flag (500ml).

I'm so worried about Scooter..... any suggestions anyone can offer would be
greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!

Miran, Steve, Gizmo, Scooter and Jaaaaaazper