From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 14:37:22 -0500
>>>Personally, we have had just about as many reactions with Galaxy as
>>>with Fervac.

>>Thanks for the correction, Sukie.  I was speaking from reading - your
>>personal experience is far more valuable.

Not a correction because -- like anyone else -- we might have encountered
a statistical anomaly.  I just don't know.  Everyone encounters such
anomalies at assorted times in life which is why personal experience be
taken only as personal experience.  There are a LOT of personal experience
reports out there, but since Galaxy isn't an approved CD vax (even though
it appears -- including to multiple vets -- to be effective) there just
aren't the rate numbers to compare and know for sure.

>>Reactions can happen for the first time even after having had the
>>same vaccine before.  In my case I think it was the 6th time he got the
>>vaccine that he reacted to it.

The vaccine reactions discussed are allergic reactions.  With allergic
reactions the body becomes sensitized during an exposure in which it
mistakes something (like a vaccine or the matrix it is in -- even a common
compound in multiple vaccines' matrices) for an invader.  Then THE NEXT
TIME it is exposed it reacts -- among the things that can happen then:
histamines are produced in over abundance (which is why antihistamines are
used), swelling occurs (which is why steroids and epinaphrin are used),
fluids are lost rapidly and blood pressure plummets (which is why IV
fluids are used), etc.  Epinephrin is a very important med also used when
the reaction is extremely bad BUT is a potentially dangerous one so needs
to be respected.  Oxygen chambers and more may also be used.

>What I'm wondering is ... is newspaper safe to use with ferrets?

If you are in the U.S. then, yes, because heavy metal colorations on
newsprint were outlawed years ago from what i have been told.  Now
they are apparently soy based colors.  If you want to be extra sure
ask the newspaper's printing office what sorts of dyes they use.

>Harley report

Hey!  "Harley" is today's word on my word-origin calendar
( http://www.accordpublishing.com ) and it was the last name of one
of the manufacture's three founders and originates from old English in
Shropshire and West Yorkshire where it meant "clearing in the woods" and
"pile of rocks".  (As you know, we once rehabed a different Harley.)