From:
lisa dempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:12:35 PST
Hi everyone-

I just spent my entire day investigating the petswarehouse.com issue and
made some very interesting discoveries.  First I have to say that I am
throughly disappointed that only ferrets are mentioned in most of the posts
in their small animal forum.  This company is also selling sugar gliders
and degus over the internet, NOT JUST FERRETS!  Yes, I think that we all
know and agree that ferrets are superior to ALL other creatures, especially
we humans, but that doesn't mean that only the ferrets deserve to have
their complaints heard.  (Come on every one let your sugar gliders on your
computers too-they can type just as well the the fuzzies!  I don't know
about the degu but they could at least try!.)

Secondly, I would like to make it clear that this company does in fact ship
animals (all kinds) out from internet orders.  I have not been able to
verify what sort of service they use to do this because they won't respond
to me, but there is information on shipping livestock through UPS and
Fed-Ex and on their small animal forum there is talk of following airline
and NTSB safety codes and things of that nature.  Regardless, how ever the
animals are shipped this practice is very disturbing to me and I am doing
all that I can to see that it stops all together.  A person should not be
able to turn on their computer and buy and animal they may have never seen
before.

However in the meantime - and this is the urgent par - some progress made!
On their site, ABOVE the add for the baby ferrets there is a shelter link
now.  Finally, with all of our complaining they have done "something".  So
would like it very much if all of the shelters out there were to go the
site ([log in to unmask]) to have their information listed so that the
most can be made of the small change a few of us have made possible!  They
are even offering free food and treats to those customers who can show that
they made an adoption from a listed shelter (I know it's not the best food
but it's something to try to promote the adoptions over their own sales!)
So while this isn't exactly what I would like to see happen I think it is a
start in the right direction.  So please, if you run a shelter please send
your information to them, just think of all the baby ferrets you can save
from being shipped across the country only to show up in your shelter
because someone thought it would be cool to buy a ferret over the internet
and then found out they don't really want it.

Thanks!

Lisa