From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 01:50:12 +0800
>From:    William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: zen's comments...
>
>Anything that gets Charlie Herring out of ferrets is a very good thing.

Ouch.  I wouldn't go that far.  A bit questionable in where all her ferrets
go, but I don't think I would get that nasty.

>There were quite a few problems with the ones we saw.

I have heard stories, as well.  Nothing that was confirmable, though.

>With 300 ferrets they will be just another ranch.

Agreed.

>We truly do hope that this goes well with this venture and it doesn't turn
>out like many other ventures into ferret ranching.

And if it goes poorly?  Shelters in the East be prepared to take in 400
plus ferrets.

>From:    Wolf & Silven Read <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kit and Caboodle Ferretry
>I wrote an article that included information about the Kit & Caboodle sale
>for the Pacific Ferret Shelter Network Newsletter months ago.

Never saw it.  Would love to though.

>The great breeding debate aside, what was that saying about getting to
>know someone before you make judgements about them?

I would make the same statements about somebody I don't know.  Why on earth
would anybody need 400 ferrets for breeding?  And why claim that all are
hand raised (as stated on their web site) when we all know that that is
impossible.  Even with paid help.

>They seemed like very responsible, knowledgable folks.

Lots of people "seem" like they are very responsible, knowledgable folks.
I have met some good bullshitters.  A particular breeder comes to mind who
swore up and down their ferrets got the best care (and looked they sure
looked it at shows) and then come to find out this person neglected them
to the point of not giving them vet care, time out, handling, abuse, and
breeding genetically problemed ferrets - just to name a few problems with
this breeder.  Some of you probably know who I am speaking of.j

>I'm pretty sure the Coles have been around ferrets longer than a year,
>maybe more like 3-5,

Funny that they have "come out of nowhere" according to so many different
people.  I could tell you that I have had ferrets for 50 years and you
would believe me?  No matter how many years they have owned ferrets, in
my opinion no new breeder should buy 400 breeding animals.  Heck - not
even 20 breeding animals.

>and I'm equally sure they know about things like ECE and ADV.

How are you sure of this?  Did they tell you?  Did you ask them?  Funny
that they know of ADV since many on this list (as well as others -
including vets) have JUST become aware of it - and some don't even know
about it!  I wonder if all those ferrets have been ADV tested and
quarantined prior to the introductions to the Cole's current ferrets.

>And, in the least, they seemed to have the energy, enthusiasm, and
>organization to handle a large breedership.

Glad to hear that.  Just give it time.  It will wear on them.

>Some of the postings I've just read about Kit and Caboodle appear to be
>more the product of gut emotion than careful thought.

Not from me.

>If the Coles haven't been too responsive over e-mail, then one must
>consider how busy they must be in caring for so many ferrets.

Must be so busy with something.  They have entered multiple ferrets in
shows, have shown up late or not at all.

>Lastly, donation (say to the ADV fund) requires either time or cash, or
>both.  If you're barely hanging in the positive financially, it'd be
>stupid to donate and drop down the debt precipice.  Maybe the Coles don't
>have much of either right now for reasons cited above (after all, they
>_bought_ out Two Pole), and so I don't see how this enters into much of
>anything.

Well this is the biggest load of crap I have heard in a long time.  They
don't have the money to donate?  So they have money to sponser SHOW RINGS
but not to aid in a cure to what might effect the ferrets they breed?  I
find this a bit wrong.  Ever wonder how ECE was spread all over?  Shows.
And if they don't have much money after biuying that many ferrets - how on
earth will they afford vaccinations, testing (like for ADV), food, litter,
hammocks, toys, etc?  D0 you know how much 400 plus ferrets eat per day?
Or how much litter they go through?  If they have 400 ferrets (which they
have more) do you know how much they will have to spend in distemper
vaccines?  $800.  That is if they give them themselves at $2 per vaccine.
Per the math in yesterdays FML - 1800 kits will cost $3,600 for the FIRST
booster for kits.  If they have the kits by the their second vaccines that
is $7,200 into vaccines.  If they have them for all three boosters that is
$10,800 in kit vaccines!  Or will they just give the first booster like
Marshalls does?  From those figures - I doubt they can't afford to donate
$1,000 to a research fund.

>From:    Pat Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Two Pole Ferret Farm Sold/Kit and Caboodle Ferretry
>
>What about neuter contracts?

Good point.  These kits will probably be altered young (which everybody
complains about) or sent out non-altered (which everybody complains about -
and may be against the law if sold to pet stores).

>How do you track that many to make sure the females are not dying of
>aplastic anemia?

Or other genetic problems.

>Responsible breeders should not breed any more than they can comfortably
>take back and keep themselves.

Agreed.

Anon
[ "Condfused and Concerned Ferret Lover" per post in FML 3206.  BIG]