Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:53:31 -0500
Jamie R. Furr wrote in requestion information on the origin of the name
Loki.  First of all, I named my first ferret Loki, because the name fits her
perfectly.  I hae two other ferrets named Kitiara and Duncan.  The name Loki
is that given to the Norse god of mischief.  In many religious traditions
there is a trickster figure who is used to teach others lessons.  In the
Norse tradition, Loki is that trickster.  Loki plays tricks and generally
wreaks havoc among the other Aesir, gods, in Asgard, the home of the gods.
The god Loki has the protean gift of shape changing and uses this to play
tricks on Odin and the other gods.  Much of the time, Loki's tricks are
small and don't cause much harm, but others cause problems and render Asgard
vulnreable to the plotting and assults of its enemies.  Loki is the god who
is ultimately responsible for the last battle in Asgard, the day of
Retribution (Ragnarok) when all the gods will be destroyed and the world
will come to an end.

Jamie, many people are familiar with the god Loki, the trickster, from
Marvel and other comic books, from cartoons made from comic book stories,
from Dungeons and Dragons role playing, and from the study of mythology.
Since ferrets may be the most miscievious critters many ppl have ever seen,
the name Loki fits very well.  My Loki loves to play games and she gets into
everything, and yes, this sometimes leads to trouble :)

Tricia Grebner (the ferret mommy),
Loki (the trickster),
Kit (the hellSpawn ferret),
and Duncan (the kilt-wearing highland ferret)