From:
Susan Brown DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 1994 23:52:06 -0400
I wanted to clear up the kidney cyst issue and agree with Dr. Williams that
polycystic kidney disease is different than cystic kidneys.  Polycystic
kidney disease we have only seen in ferrets under 1 year of age and it has
involved both kidneys extensively and is not a good prognosis.  It is indeed
rare, but Dr. Judy Bell at Marshall Farms has told me that she sees it now
and again as a kit disease.  The cause is unknown.  Out of about 5000 ferrets
that I have seen we have seen maybe 4 cases.
Cystic kidneys on the other hand are relatively common and as Dr. Williams
pointed out is usually a benign condition.  I see it usually in older animals
over three, but apparently it can be in any age (although I have not seen it
in younger animals).  I would guess that about 10% of the ferrets we see will
develop a cyst in one or more kidneys without a problem.
All the cases of hydronephrosis we have seen (where the ureter of the kidney
is nonfunctional or blocked) have been in ferrets under 18 months of age and
all in females associated with a problem at the time of a spay.  I was most
interested to learn that Dr. Williams had seen one also caused by a urinary
infection.  Ferrets can also develp bladder stones and kidney stones, but I
have not yet seen a blocked ureter and consequently hydronephrosis because of
it.  Thanks for the extra info Dr. Williams!

Last note... due to some personal committments and business schedule, I will
not be easily available for questions on this network for the next two weeks.
 I know you will not need my with Dr. Williams around.  I will check in every
so often and hope to be back more regularly in a couple of weeks.....happy
ferreting!
Susan Brown, D.V.M.