From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2007 17:05:18 -0400
I've been told that my note about the ferret who ate that 8 in 1 food
could be misinterpreted so here is a clarification:

I am trying to find out if there has been a definite case of the
cyanuric acid and melamine crystals in ferrets because
1. to date it has not been documented in ferrets, and dogs from which
ferrets are descended are less prone to the problem than cats.
2. So, it is an unknown how easily the crystals can form in ferret
urine. (All types of urine differ in a number of factors including
typical pH.)
3. Also, if those crystals do form in ferrets then because ferrets have
more narrow "tubing" than cats and dogs is there an increased risk of
not only kidney damage but also of blockage lower in the urinary track
such as in the urethra?
4. And finally, since that one type of food was recalled because it was
produced at the same as the contaminated foods I wanted to find out if
there was actual documented cross-contamination rather than just the
possibility of such cross- contamination. (So far there is one food
from a different location which did have actual cross- contamination,
so if there was actual cross-contamination it probably even more makes
sense for any manufacturer to recall all types of foods made at that
time (as happened with that one type of 8 in 1) rather than just ones
with those known ingredients.)

So, I asked about the crystals, and also in my FML post (perhaps also
in my FHL post but i can't recall off-hand) I gave the info on which
specific 8 in 1 food was involved because there are sure to be those
who missed the original announcements who will want and perhaps even
need to know (i.e. may have one of the recalled bags).

Here is the FDA announcement again for those it can help:
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/chenango05_07.html
Chenango Valley Pet Foods is now expanding the recall action to
include those pet foods that do not contain rice protein
concentrate but were manufactured during periods when rice protein
concentrate formulas were processed. The recall of these products
is precautionary due to the possibility of cross-contamination.
8 in 1 Ferret ULTRA-BLEND ADVANCED NUTRITION DIET, NET WT. 20 LBS,
UPC 26851 00413, Code: C7072

All that had been said was that the food was the cause but there was
not more data, and in both cat and dog health care there have been both
cases which were clearly the food as the cause but non- acceptance of
that by some food makers, but other cases with the opposite where other
causes turned out to be to blame. All that anyone can do when little
info is given is to ask questions. With no other ferret reports that
I have been able to find the data in this situation become especially
important to help others.

I am sorry that I was so brief but my own life has had some huge
demands recently with my elderly father (almost 93) extremely ill. Yes,
I am very sorry that KIller passed on, but was thinking that perhaps
information could save others. If I'd been under less time pressure
I'd have done a better job of getting that across. I apologize for not
being clear and hope that testing results are shared because this poor
little boy's appears case seems to be the only case (so far?) in which
people can possibly learn about cyanuric acid-melamine crystals in
ferrets, so the test results become especially important and hopefully
there will be a detailed report should the testing not show an
alternative kidney disease cause. (This particular food maker appears
to be more consciencous than some others but I also kind of hope that
some urine and kidney tissue is looked at independently with a report.)

The research info on those crystals specifically can be linked to from
past posts.

Hopefully, that is more clear now.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: