From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 19:38:08 -0500
Well, we all schlepped up to the Boston State House again today.  Getting to
know my way around the place pretty well lately.

Anyway, we were scheduled to be at the "Signing Ceremony" with Governor Weld
today.  Approximately 20 people showed up for the event.  We all met
downstairs by the front entrance of the State House.  Around 3:00 we went
upstairs to the Governors Office. (This is the same place a week before we
were chanting outside at the rally).

We were greeted by a State Police officer who immediately started asking
questions about "ferrets".  He immediately received a business card from the
4 Little Paws Shelter, and a handout of "What is a Ferret"  and an invite to
come see whats up for adoption in NH.

While we were waiting for the Governors staff, he came thru the outer
portion of his office where we were seated.  Said "you must be the ferret
people" and course we said yes.  He wanted to know if we had any live
ferrets there and we told him no, Ferret Freedom Day is March 7th.

Anyway, we were brought into the Governors Council Chambers where the press
once more was abound.  Chuck Adler was there with his camera man.  UPI was
there, along with other newspapers.  It was pretty amazing.

The Governor came out of his office wearing the OUTLAWS t-shirt that
Jennifer from The Ferret Stash had overnighted him last week.  He looked
real cool in his t-shirt!

He greeted all of us and signed the bill.  After the ceremony the signed
bill was given to me which I proudly took.  The pen he used to sign it with
is right here along with my "Adler Online" coffee mug.  All the others in
the group got a pen from the Governor.  After that he gave a great speech.
Susie noticed it was left on the podium so she "borrowed" it.  Bill will
post it on the FML.

Anyway after the Governor spoke, I presented him with Deborah Jeans
Practical Guide to Ferret Care, Modern Ferret Magazine, Adele Porch's Your
First Ferret and another 1996 Ferret Calendar, with March 7th marked Ferret
Freedom Day.  Governor Weld just loves FEBRUARY.  Anyone know who owns
February, 1996?  Would love to let the Gov know.  I told him that if he was
interested in adopting a ferret, there are plenty looking for homes.  He
sounded like it may be a good idea, he has lots of pets, dog, cat, guinea
pig, rabbit, hampster.  He said a ferret would kind of round off everything.
I say GO FOR IT GOV!!!

Well, right after that a bunch of us went down to the "Cheers" bar on Beacon
Street and had a toast.

What a thrilling day for the Mass Ferret Owners.  What a great, great
feeling I have.