From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 08:33:38 -0600
We see so many many posts on the Fml about lost ferrets and thought that it
might be helpful to post some hints about lost ferrets.

Number one thing every ferret owner should consider is ferret proofing your
residence.  We provide this service to our clients and make recommendations
that prevent the loss of your fuzzy in the first place.

Secondly, we provide education on safety for your ferret to all clients.
Tips such as watch out for door dashers, bumps under the rug, always check
where you are sitting or laying if your fuzzies are out, plants go high,
and all cupboards that you don't want them in get latched securely.(please
don't use kidproof latches, two legged kind).  When you notice the ferret
missing and complete a thorough search for Mr./Ms.Mrs. Mischeivious and
determine they are nowhere in the house, immediately go have 200-300 flyers
made on brightly colored paper.  It must read something like this:

    LOST our beloved little (name) from the approximate address on (date)
    Provide a description and also include a picture if possible.  He/She
    is in need of daily medical care and must take her meds every day.
    Please help us find her.  We are worried for her health and safety.
    Please call us at(your #) REWARD

Do not specify the amt of the reward, but $20 is usually sufficient for
most cases.  Please keep in mind that the longer you take completing this
procedure, the rate of mortality for your loved one increases.In the winter
in cold temps, they can survive only a few days, fair weather aweek and
extreme hot summers, nort long at all unless they find a cool shelter.
Starvation and dehydration are your biddest enemies, although sometimes
they will walk into a yard with a big dog, thinking they can play and be
killed or severely injured.

Our prayers to all those little lost fuzzheads out there right now.  We
pray you make it hope safely and next time , don't leave home without
mommy or daddy, ok?

Hugs to all,
Ferretguy