From:
Wendy & Surry Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 06:49:20 -0400
Hi, my name is Wendy and I live in Duplin Co NC anothe hard hit area by the
floods from Floyd.  I just want to commend all the people who are helping
all the animals in need.  I was faced with the dilema to leave my home and
my 3 fuzzies (and cat) or move to saftey at my mothers during the storm.
My mom was having a lot of people at her house and woulnt allow me to bring
my pets, so I boarded up their room and left lots of food and water and
just prayed that they would be alright.  Well they made it through just
fine and the floodwaters didnt quite reach my home, but we were stranded at
my moms for 2 days because there were no passable roads.  My aunt wasnt so
lucky, she lost all her dogs, cats, chickens and even the goats.  Her house
was destroyed by the waters.  As I was driving in the area where she lives
I saw 3 dogs walking down the road, dried mud all over them, one had an
injured eye.  It looked as if they had been swept away from their home by
the flood waters.  I almost lost my composure!  I stopped to check for
collars with names on them but there were none.  They seemed very happy to
have someone talk to them cause they were wagging their tail and jumping on
me.  But they kept walking north.  It was like they were going home.  It
was so amazing.  I was driving a mustang so I had no room to pick them up,
so I called my uncle who had a truck.  By the time he got there, they were
gone.  He drove the length of the road, but I guess they cut across a field
somewhere.  I hope those dogs found their way back to their owners because
I know I would be so heartbroken to know my pets had been washed away and
trying to get home.  So, again, my thanks go out to all those who are
helping our animals and our people here in NC.

Wendy Williams