From:
Ed Hoffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:23:12 -0500
An emotional issue.  I have been reading and following for some time the
issues regarding the pet store's and how it's now evolving into transit of
the ferts, and finally to the breeders themselves.  If this is like any
other mailing list that I have been on, then this is not an new issue, but
an old one resurfaced.

Before we start bashing stores and store chains for selling ferrets (i.e.
Petco) and since all of the facts might not be in let's look at the big
picture.  Where did you get YOUR first little fuzz butt.  I got mine at
a "pet store".  Yes, I understand and NOW know why everyone wants to
prescreen future owners BUT, I also have had a sugar glider in the past,
numerous dogs, cats, etc.  and have loved them all, what's the difference?
When they left for "rainbow ridge" I cried The difference, is that these
little fuzzy warm creatures sent from God crawled up and caught my heart
and pull my hear strings.  Now, I am a Ferretaholic, enamored by these
fuzzbutts.  Yea, so now want to make sure that they ALL get good homes and
give everyone the third degree.  But is this really right?  I was given
the chance to be enslaved by these fuzzy beings, are we by our collective
zealousness going to deny others from this right?

I do believe that as a collective body of ferret owners we should and can
be the watch dogs to protect against foul play and cruelty.  In my opinion
I also feel that in many or most cases this is going to be a highly
localized problem, not a problem against a chain of stores (i.e. Petco)
or large breeders (i.e. Marshall).  Yes, we can get highly charged or
emotional about this, after all you are talking about "our" future babies!
Let's just keep it in perspective and go after the real "creeps", not the
good stores trying the best they can, with the limited information they
have.  If they need more information teach them.  If they want prospective
owner seminars provide them.  Let other have there heart string tugged,
they deserve it also.

My Name is Ed, I am a Ferretaholic

And we made him that way
"Who Me?"