From:
Michelle Matta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:56:23 -0500
In our household, ferrets were around first.  7 total.  Then my husband
found a 3 week old kitten, abandoned.  We took him in, and allowed minimal
interaction until he was about 8 weeks.  But before then, they knew he was
there and were allowed to sniff him, just not interact without one of us
holding him.  As he grew, our motherly ferret took him in.  He would
frequently try to get in the cage to go in the hammock with them.  This
lasted until he was about 6 months old, when he couldn't fit anymore.  By
the time he was a year old, he outgrew this behavior.  He still interacts
just fine with them, eats, plays poops and pees with them.  He hasn't slept
with them since he was a baby.  But he DOES have pecular ferret behavior
for a cat....steals things from purses and carries things around in his
mouth to hide in his special spots.  Not quite as buried as a ferret stash
is (i.e. he doesn't go under the dresser to hide things, but he will take
them over to a particular spot and drop them with all the other toys/stolen
items).

- mish