From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 20:54:55 -0700
Here's some interesting info on the HSUS - I got this from my Feb. '95
issue of Vegetarian Times ("The Threat From Within" - info on various
animal rights and animal welfare groups).

- 2.1 million members/supporters
- 1992 Budget: $18,902,292
   63% to programs, 31% to overhead, 6% to affiliates
- Salary of chief executive: $172,442

Among the other groups discussed (does not include the ASPCA or other
"humane societies"), they have the largest membership, budget, overhead
costs, and chief executive salary.  For the salary, the only groups that
come close are the National Anti-Vivisection Society ($82,420), Friends of
Animals ($65,000), and In Defense of Animals ($42,700).  Most others pay no
salary to their executives.

The article also described the "signature" of the HSUS as "Business suits
and briefcases working within the system."  Sounds about right, considering
that some people are making a tidy salary. :/   We've got to try to hit
their pocketbooks _and_ expose their inaccurate claims/information.  Thanks
for your continuing efforts, Pam.  I'll be sending a letter to Ms. Lamb
tomorrow, since Mr. Irwin has so swiftly passed the buck to her (with yet
another form letter).

- Denise
--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"