From:
Susann Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:19:15 -0500
Anneinchicago wrote,
>From:    anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Disaster Training Clases from United Animal Nations>
>
>I have no idea if they cover ferrets but it might be interesting to
>both go *and* to find out.

Hi -

Yes, EARS (the Emergency Animal Rescue Service) assists all kinds of
animals in all kinds of disaster situations. I completed this training
in 1998 and was recently named EARS' New York State Coordinator. In
addition to being able to respond to disasters nationwide and help all
kinds of animals, I'm really excited by the opportunity to help get
rescued ferrets the food, medical care, housing and other supplies they
need. :-)

Our Ferret Emergency Response, Rescue and Evacuation Team
<http://www.ferretemergency.org/>
will support and assist EARS and other humane and disaster response
organizations in time of disaster.

EARS is a wonderful organization with a ton of experience in disasters
worldwide (see http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=80 for some of the
disasters EARS has responded to since its founding in 1988.)

EARS is currently working with the HSUS, ASPCA, American Humane
Association, Best Friends, FEMA, the Red Cross and others to formally
and comprehensively incorporate animals into disaster response plans
at the local, regional, state and national levels.

EARS also assists with hoarding, disease outbreaks and cruelty cases.

EARS' disaster training seminars are a fantastic introduction to rescue
and emergency sheltering. When you complete this workshop you will be
able to voluntarily deploy with EARS to disasters nationwide. You will
also have a good, solid knowledge base from which you can expand your
rescue training and skills beyond sheltering, if you wish.

Susann Thiel