From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:06:54 -0500
>Ah winter is around the corner.  And so I have a question about ferret
>paws on icey cold pavements.  You see I have a ferret that walks with me
>just like a dog.  We go everywhere, and at quite a pace I might add. LOL.
>Anyway I was careful in the spring and fall not to walk her on hot
>pavement of course.  But now I have to wonder about when it gets super
>cold this winter and the pavement is so icey.

It's not the ice so much as the salt that's a problem.  Most of my ferret
patients don't go for walks.  But I can't count the number of dogs I've
treated for ulcerated feet and mouths because they walked on treated
areas, got the chemicals on their feet and licked it off.  You definitely
do not want to walk her anywhere that any chemicals have been applied.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.