From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 11:12:37 -0700
To Anthony Sena:
>One of the drugs he was put on was Prednisone.  He was on it for quite
>some time (many months).  Shortly after I took him off of it the hair loss
>began.  I feel the long term use of Prednisone caused the glands that
>produce Testosterone to atrophy...  He not only lost hair, but he grew six
>nipples!  Also, he has recently been plagued by urinary infections.  One
>of the two vets that I use feels that Binky is having prostate problems.
>He felt Binky's abdomen and thinks that the prostate is enlarged.  Could
>this also be a result of long term use and sudden stoppage of Prednisone?
>Lastly, which is a better drug for urinary tract/prostate problems,
>Tetracycline or Bactrum?

     Anthony - has Binky been neutered.  The testes produce testosterone,
so if they're gone, prednisone would have no effect.  At any rate -
prednisone does not impact on the testis' production of testosterone.  Also,
ferrets can't nipples.  Development of nipples, though, is a sign of
hyperestrogenism.

     I am not a big fanof ultrasound for diagnosis of adrenal disease.
It can pick up grossly enlarged adrenals, but rarely diagnoses lesions in
normal-sized adrenals.  Additionally, it is much better for diagnosing
neoplasms, but doesn't pick up areas of hyperplasia (a non-neoplastic growth
of adrenal tissue) which can cause similar signs.

     A common cause of urinary problems in males with adrenal disease is
prostatic cysts.  They can grow to the size where they block off the
urethra, and the animal can't urinate at all.  This is more common in
ferrets with adrenal disease than urinary tract infections.

     Concerning the best antibiotics to use with urinary tract infections -
it all depends on the bacteria that is in the urine and what it is
sensitive to.  Bactrim, in my experience, has a wider range of action than
tetracycline, though....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR