From:
Christina Pertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:11:50 -0400
>Patty Ducharme <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: fruits and vegs as treats for ferrets
>
>I've read in many ferret books that you can feed ferrets fresh grapes
>and raisins and vegetables at treats. >>>>>>>>
>
>Squizzy's momma....

This is my first time posting, so I hope I do it right! I wanted to
respond to Patty's question about fruits, veggies, and grains as
treats for ferrets.

Ferrets are considered strict carnivores and can therefore not digest
fruits, veggies, or grains. I suggest you skip over ferret books
(except for Ferrets for Dummies 2nd Edition) and head straight to an
encyclopedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrets#Diet That actually
gives a good summary of what ferrets can eat. It mentions they like
sweets, just like people, we have a fondness for foods that are not
good for us. Too much sugar in our diet is bad as well. Ferrets don't
know which foods are good, its our responsibility to know which foods
are healthy and which aren't. This is why I suggest you skip regular
library ferret books and SOME websites, because as I also found as a
new ferrent a year ago, some sites are completely wrong! Its hard to
know who to trust. Thats why I suggest an encyclopedia first, and then
search for credible resources after that.

As for the grapes, I would stop giving them now that you know. I
don't know how many you gave and I can't say that you won't have any
problems. As long as he's been pooping and the poop hasn't been stringy
and thin, you may be ok for now. As for treats, I recommend treats that
are 100% meat treats, like VitaLife strips or Dogswell or Catswell.
There are a few others, but you are looking for 100% meat, nothing with
flour or rice in it either. Rice can cause blockages as well, depending
on the type, it can swell in the stomach. Other safe treat ideas are
raw meats, raw egg (but limited amounts), whole prey, or 100% canned
meats like what is available for cats and dogs.

Hope I helped, and really hope I responded correctly!

--
Christina Pertz
http://christina.pertz.googlepages.com